Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Personality Quirks/Flaws?

So there is a situation that has made me think about two of my personality quirks or possibly flaws depending on how you look at it.

One of them I understand very well and is tied into my desire to make plans, create expectations and have those expectations more or less met. Usually when I make such plans my expectations do get met, however I've noticed that if I've been invited or otherwise called to meet with friends to do a specific activity, say watch a movie, or play a game, or even discuss a particular topic, and that specific activity doesn't happen. . I get frustrated and annoyed. There are varying degrees depending on a few things but that is true. It's also tied in with a desire for people to do what they say they will do and usually I agree to do said activity. . because I actually want to do it.

So I understand that quirk, and ultimately I really do think people should do what they say they will do and I agree to do or not do something based on what I expect will happen . . so I make no apologies for that. It seems reasonable to me. The other one is possibly a little stranger and I'm not sure if it might be a kind of flaw passed on from my father or not. I'd like to think that if that is true, then I have it to a less bad degree.

The other one is a general desire to do things over *just* sitting and talking. I like to talk. . anyone can tell you that, and often I'm fine with sitting for a couple of hours and just talking. I like to catch up, I like to discuss philosophy and whatever. There is a point, probably the 2.5 to 3 hour mark that I start to get antsy. It does definitely depend on the subject of conversation and possibly who I'm talking with. . but unless I'm deeply engrossed in a particular topic I probably start to get bored with *just* talking after a certain point. Especially if we aren't talking about anything of substance or if the conversation turns to thinks like celebrities or. . world of warcraft. Actually I'm not sure if I specifically get antsy or just get bored with certain topics. . . In any case I often prefer to *do* something if we are not talking about something that is particularly engrossing.

And that's it. Am I terrible for getting antsy? Should I learn to be more flexible? Hmmm it seems less bad when I write it out than when I was thinking about it. . but I'm not sure if I'm making it sound better when typing or worse when thinking. I know I don't want to be like my dad who sometimes it seems *can't* just have a conversation and has trouble not reading while at the dinner table and gets annoyed if one takes more than 30 seconds to make a decision when playing a game. . . I don't want to be that impatient and that dependent on constantly *doing* something. . .

I also kinda think these quirks or flaws are not so bad unless put together and then the one compounds the other. Not watching the movie and instead chatting about things I don't care about just makes me want to bash my head in. Also obviously it isn't usually so extreme a situation and I often do participate in conversation and even enjoy it but when waiting to do something. . . the conversation enjoyment can sour after a certain point.

I'm adding a wave of what I wrote above with the thought that it might be easier to insert comments at certain points via a wave than just leave comments. Please go to the actual blog site to check out the wave below :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers